Duke Energy's Gas Inspections by Southern Cross
Friday, January 15, 2016
The City has been notified by Duke Energy that between February and May 2016, representatives from Southern Cross, Inc. will be performing inspections on gas metering equipment and piping inside buildings in Newport. The inspetions are required by the US Department of Transporation and are necessary for safe natural gas pipeline operations.
Southern Cross technicians will be readily identifiable by:
- Wearing visible Southern Cross picture identification on the outside of their uniforms
- Having a contact phone number for the customer to call for verification
- Driving a vehicle marked with a Southern Cross logo, not a Duke Energy logo
- Southern Cross will leave automated telephone messages to notify customers that they are in the area. The technicians will then leave a door hanger with the inspection program information if they are unable to perform the inspection at the time of the visit.
How the inspection works:
- Typically, an inspection takes 15 minutes to complete.
- A certified contractor from Southern Cross enters the building and inspects Duke Energy-owned exposed natural gas piping and metering equipment for leakage and corrosion.
- Once that part is complete, the inspector paints any exposed piping up to the outlet of the meter.
- These inspections are performed at no cost to customers.
- To complete this inspection, they will need access to the natural gas meter and associated piping from where this equipment enters the premises to the natural gas meter. They also need the Duke Energy natural gas customer or a designated adult representative to be present at the premises to provide the inspection crew with the needed access.*
For more information contact Duke Energy 1.800.544.6900.