Riverfest Street Closings 2018
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
Riverfest 2018 will be celebrated on Sunday, September 2. The fireworks begin at 9:05 p.m. The Newport Police Department wants you to stay safe as you enjoy Riverfest and travel home. There are enormous traffic concerns and we ask for your cooperation so we can keep traffic moving. Please plan ahead and be patient.
No beverages, no coolers, no tents, no umbrellas, no animals, no bikes, no roller skates, no drones, no laser pointers.
Do remember to dress appropriately for the weather. Do wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in. If you plan to bring a bag or backpack, select a clear bag to help things move smooth and quickly at the entrance. Plan which side of the river you want to be on before the Taylor Southgate Bridge closes to vehicles at 6 p.m. and closes to pedestrians at 7:30 p.m. Plan on long delays when leaving the event, be patient.
In the morning - Closing at 8 a.m.:
Columbia north of 4th St.
In the evening - Closing at 7:30 p.m.:
10th Street between Saratoga and York;
Monmouth Street from 3rd to 11th.
(From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monmouth will be closed and used by emergency vehicles only.)
*NO PARKING ON MONMOUTH AFER 7 P.M.*
From 7 p.m. to Midnight there will be no parking on Monmouth.
*AFTER THE FIREWORKS MONMOUTH WILL BE ONE-WAY SOUTH TO CLEAR THE RIVERFRONT*
- All traffic west of York Street will be directed south to 12th Street, right (westward) on 12th Street, follow 12th Street to I-275.
Purple People Bridge closes at 8 a.m. and "Pagan's Path" closes at 2 p.m.
Taylor Southgate Bridge closes to vehicles at 6 p.m., closes to pedestrians at 7:30 p.m.
4th Street Bridge to Covington closes at 8:30 p.m.
I-471 North and South Exit Ramps to Route 8 close at 7:30 p.m. (unless safety concerns dictate closing earlier)
DO NOT Park on bridges, ramps, or highways, you will be cited and your vehicle will be towed.
- Newport residents are encouraged to leave their cars at home and walk to their favorite viewing spot.
- Visitors are encouraged to utilize TANK's Park and Ride at NKU
AFTER THE FIREWORKS
HELP US TO KEEP TRAFFIC MOVING SMOOTHLY
After the fireworks all traffic will be routed to I-471 or I-275. Both of these routes will take you anywhere in the tri-state.
PLEASE TAKE WHICHEVER ENTRANCE RAMP YOU ARE THE CLOSEST TO OR WHATEVER ENTRANCE RAMP YOU ARE DIRECTED TO BY EMERGENCY PERSONNEL.
The Newport PD suggests you turn off or disregard your GPS until you are on the interstate; the reason for this suggestion is, after the event the direction is reversed on several one-way streets to clear the riverfront (your GPS will not have these temporary changes) and emergency personnel will direct you to the quickest path to the interstate and away from other traffic congestion. Once you are on the interstate you can get off at the next exit to turn around if necessary. This will speed up the flow of traffic because access to all entrance ramps are one lane only. ALL TRAFFIC LANES THAT ARE MANNED BY EMERGENCY PERSONNEL ARE DIRECT ROUTES TO THE INTERSTATE.
- At approximately 9:00 p.m. Monmouth Street will reopen but traffic will be one-way south (this is the opposite of the normal traffic direction for this street) to send all traffic southward on US 27 to reach I-471 North and South.
- All traffic West of York Street will be directed South to 12th Street which will be a one-way street going West to send all traffic to I-275.
- All traffic using Route 8 after the event will be sent onto I-471 North or South.
- After the fireworks the buses to NKU will stage at the Route 8 entrance ramp to I-471 southbound for everyone who arrived on those buses.
- *Due to construction and street closures all traffic going south on Columbia St. (Traffic from Riverboat Row & Levee Garage) will have the option to make a right or left turn on W. 3rd St as follows:
- Right turn will take you around the 4th St. Round-a-bout around to 5th & Central, RIGHT onto Central to W. 9th St, RIGHT onto W. 9th St to Lowell St (New Route 9), LEFT onto Lowell St, and traffic will be directed toward Wilder (AA Highway & I-275 East or West).
- Left turn will direct you South onto York St, RIGHT onto W. 12th St, STRAIGHT through toward Wilder (AA Highway & I-275 East or West).
- Once Covington Police open their side of the 4th St Bridge, traffic will then be allowed to travel west through Covington to I-75 North or South