Code Enforcement

 The Code Enforcement Director is responsible for building inspections throughout the city. 

Code Enforcement is responsible for issues affecting quality of life. Through the enforcement of adopted building codes, property maintenance codes, and City ordinances the Department regulates building construction, housing standards, and animal control.


To report violations you may email or call 859.292.3637 to report complaints such as high grass or weeds, building violations, problems concerning pets or stray animals, or if you observe a vacant property that is unsecure. Your complaint will be added to the current inspection list. IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you reach voicemail, please realize that this department receives a very high volume of calls with only a very small staff to answer calls, assist visitors, perform inspections and follow ups, etc. Therefore we ask that you please leave a voicemail message including your name, phone number, and the reason for your call. You may report problems anonymously however it is best that you leave a phone number in case we need to call you back to get more information or to confirm the location. If the information you left on voicemail is complete we will proceed with the inspection protocol outlined above and will not be calling you back unless you specifically asked for a return call.

Back to Top

Building Permits

The City of Newport is offering digital submittals for Building and Zoning Permit Applications beginning December 2, 2020. Online applications can be submitted through the link below:

Citizen Portal (

 Hard copy submittals will still be accepted via the drop box or mail.

As always, staff will be available to assist with the application process. If you cannot access the online portal for any reason or require other assistance, please reach out to the office.

If you have any further questions, please contact us by phone at 859-292-3637 or email 

For construction the Code Enforcement Division is responsible to accept applications for building permits, review submitted plans, issue permits, and provide inspections to assure compliance with all applicable building codes. Most building permits are processed within fourteen business days. 

Permit FAQs

Building Permits

Q: When is a building permit required?

A: A building permit is required when you intend to construct, enlarge, remodel or change the occupancy of a building, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.

Note: Not all work requires a building permit. Work such as painting, wallpapering, cabinets and countertops, replacing shingles, window replacement with windows having the same size window opening are examples of work exempt from permit requirements. If you are unsure whether your project requires a building permit, it is best to call Code Enforcement at 859-292-3637.

Q: What plans do I need to submit for your review?

A: Each construction project is different and the drawings and details necessary vary depending on the scope of work. If you have questions, you are encouraged to call Code Enforcement at 859-292-3637 to ensure you have the right information.

All construction plans and details are to be drawn to scale and fully dimensioned.

Q: How many sets of plans do I need to submit?

A: When submitting to Code Enforcement, two hard copies and one digital (i.e. PDF on thumb drive or disc) of construction plans shall be submitted along with a completed permit application form. Specialized systems such as fire alarm, sprinkler or range hood drawings may be submitted at a later date by the specific contractor or owner. If you are submitting for a plumbing permit in addition to a building permit, one set of plumbing plans each with a Building Permit application form shall be submitted. For more information on plumbing permits, visit the Kentucky Plumbing Division website.

Q: Are there any forms I need to submit with my plans?

A: There are several forms that are important, but none so much as the Building Permit application form. The form is to be completed with all information pertinent to your project; however, not all items on the Building Permit form may be applicable. The owner/owners name and address and the name and address of a contact person are of utmost importance. Asking for the name and address of an architect and engineer is not to imply that an architect and engineer are required. If one or both are part of the construction design, we ask that their name and address be provided.

Q: Is there a fee I need to pay, and if so, who do I make the check payable to?

A: Plan review / inspection fees are identified in the fee schedule. Permit fees can be paid by check payable to City of Newport, or by cash in person.

Q: Are contractors required to be licensed?

A: There are certain aspects of building construction that are required to be performed by a licensed contractor. All persons performing work within the City of Newport shall first obtain a city occupational license. All Electrical, H.V.A.C., Mechanical, & Plumbing work must be performed by State Licensed Contractors. There are some exceptions to these requirements for Homeowner Occupied properties, please contact Code Enforcement for further details. 859-292-3637

Q: Is an architect or engineer required to prepare my construction drawings?

A: KRS 322 and KRS 323 identify when the services of a design professional is required to prepare a set of construction drawings. Table 122.1 of the 2013 Kentucky Building Code is intended to explain when a design professional is required based on the occupancy classification of a building and the building occupant load and/or building area. Contact Code Enforcement 859-292-3637 if you have further questions.

Q: Who do I send my plans to?

A: If your construction project falls under the jurisdiction of the City of Newport, your plans and Building Permit application form will need to be submitted to Code Enforcement 998 Monmouth Street, Newport, KY 41071

Q: Can I do anything to speed up my plan review?

A: The Division of Code Enforcement does not have an expedited permit service. However permits are generally reviewed within 14 days from the date of receipt. Exception to this time frame can be made in the case of emergency repair.

Q: Do I have to submit plans to the Fire Marshal's Office?

A: No. The Fire Marshal's Office is not responsible for the review or inspection of new structures, renovations, additions or change of occupancy construction projects.

Zoning Permits

Q: When is a Zoning Permit Required?

A: Any time a structure is erected, moved, added to, structurally altered, or changed from one use to another, or when grading takes place on any lot or parcel of ground. Examples of typical zoning permits issued are for fences, decks, sheds, additions, new buildings, signs, and placement of concrete. If you have any questions please Call Development Services at 859-292-3637. The Zoning Permit application is available online.

Q: Who issues Zoning Permits?

A: The City's Zoning Administrator issues all approvals for zoning permits in the City of Newport. Some more complicated projects may need approval from The Board of Adjustments or The Planning and Zoning Commission prior to the issuance of a Zoning Permit. If you have questions about obtaining a permit or applying to one of the Boards, please contact Development Services at 859-292-3637

Q: How long will it take to receive a permit from Planning and Zoning?

A: Generally application for zoning permits will be reviewed within 14 days of receipt. Should your project require an approval from the Board of Adjustments or Planning and Zoning Commission, the time frame can be substantially longer. Please contact Development Services at 859-292-3637 for any questions.

Q: Is there a fee for Zoning permits and who do I make Payment to?

A: The fees for Zoning permits and application to Board of Adjustment and Planning Commission are set in the attached fee schedule. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Development Services at 859-292-3637.

Historic Preservation

The Historic Preservation office is here to serve all the neighborhoods of Newport. Any time you have questions, feel free to contact the Historic Preservation office at 859-655-6347.

Q: Am I required to obtain a permit from Historic Preservation?

A: Residents and property owners of the East Row, York Street, and Monmouth Street Historic Districts are required to obtain a COA (Certificate of Appropriateness) for any exterior alterations on their property prior to commencement of the work. This would include, but is not limited to, replacement of architectural features, work on windows, doors, porches, box gutters, and color selection for painting. If you have questions please feel free to contact Historic Preservation at 859-655-6347.

Q: Is there a fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness?

A: There is no charge for Certificates of Appropriateness; however should your project require approval from the Historic Preservation Commission, there is a $75 fee to apply to that Board.

Q: How long will it take to get my permit?

A: Applications for Certificates of Appropriateness are usually reviewed within 14 days of receipt. Should your project require approval from the Historic Preservation Commission the time frame can be substantially longer If you have questions please feel free to contact Historic Preservation at 859-655-­6347.

Back to Top


For housing, the Code Enforcement Division patrols the City and responds to complaints inspecting properties to insure compliance with adopted minimum housing standards. To learn more about rental inspections, review this checklist

Back to Top

Animal Control

For Animal Control the Code Enforcement Division patrols the City and responds to citizen´s complaints to insure compliance with adopted animal regulations. Newport has a leash law and a scoop law.

Newport has a vicious animal ordinance (which by definition includes any dogs displaying a vicious tendency and specifically American Pit Bull Terriers or American Staffordshire Terriers/Staffordshire Bull Terriers). Vicious dogs must be kenneled or, when being walked, must be muzzled and on a leash not exceeding six feet in length. Vicious dogs must be licensed by the City. Visit the 2nd floor of the city building at 998 Monmouth to license a vicious dog. In addition to proof of rabies vaccination and proof that the dog has been microchipped, owners of vicious dogs must show proof of liability insurance or homeowners' or renters' insurance coverage in a minimum amount of $100,000 protecting against injury caused by such dog.

All dogs must have a dog license from the County - visit the Campbell County building at 1098 Monmouth. Looking for a lost dog? Contact Terri Baker @ 859-292-3622. 

Back to Top

Contact Information

To contact the Code Enforcement Department during normal business hours, call 859.292.3637. For Code Enforcement assistance on weekdays after 5 p.m. or on weekends, contact the Newport Police Department at 859.292.3629.

Brian Steffen, Director of Code Enforcement 859.292.3655
Natalie Fornash, Administrative Assistant 859-292-6983
Mike Cronin, Code Enforcement Officer 859.655.6345
Daylin Garland, Code Enforcement Officer 859.292.3637

Back to Top


Policy of Non-Discrimination


This notice is published pursuant to the requirements of 24 CFR Part 8 Nondiscrimination Based on Handicap in Federally-Assisted Programs and Activities of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, as published in the Federal Register on June 2, 1988. Section 8.4 prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals because of their handicap status.

The City of Newport advises the public, employees and job applicants that it does not discriminate on the basis of handicapped status in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities.

The City of Newport has designated the following person(s) as the contact to coordinate efforts to comply with this requirement. Inquiries should be directed to: Thomas J. Fromme, City Manager, 998 Monmouth St., Newport, KY 41071, 859.292.3687, TDD 1.800.648.6057, Office hours are Mon. – Fri. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Back to Top

Lienholder Notification System

As a result of new legislation approved by the State of Kentucky in 2016 (HB 422/KRS 65.8836), cities are required to create a Lienholder Notification System that provides lienholders and other interested parties with electronic notifications of all final orders filed by the City of Newport.

A Final Order means any order issued by the Code Enforcement Board in accordance with City of Newport, Kentucky Commissioners Ordinance No. O-2016-019 and Chapter 32 of the Newport Code of Ordinances that is: not appealed; created because a violator neither paid nor contested the citation as provided in Chapter 32; or created because a violator failed to appear at a hearing the violator requested to contest the citation as provided in Chapter 32.

Approximately every 10 days, the information is posted on the City website and sent electronically (emailed) to the parties who have submitted the request form. Please complete the form and return it if you would like to receive email notifications of final orders. Individuals and entities, including but not limited to lienholders, may register with the office of the City Clerk to receive the notifications which are emailed approximately every 10 days. You may submit this form via: email; regular mail (City of Newport, Attn: Amy Able, 998 Monmouth St., Newport, KY 41071); facsimile (marked Attn: Amy Able at 859.292.3669); or hand delivery (marked Attn: Amy Able, 998 Monmouth St., 2nd Floor).

For other issues or charges pertaining to a specific piece of property, contact Code Enforcement at 859.292.3637.

Purple People Bridge over Ohio River in Newport Ky

Upcoming Events