1795 - The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky passed, on December 14th, an act to establish the town of Newport
1800 - A typical fire company had eight men, five horses, three hose reels, a ladder truck, 165 fireplugs and 27 signal boxes.
1836 - March 9, 1836 the first attempt to establish a fire department by The Town Fathers.
1845 - Four Fire Wardens were appointed along with the town leaders to organize and direct citizens who may be present during a fire to help extinguish the fire and protect property.
1851 - With approval by the City Commissioners, a fire engine called "Cateract" and a hose carriage called "Pioneer" was purchased from the Independence Fire Company #2 of Cincinnati for $500. Temporary fire quarters were built in the rear of the Court House until a lot could be secured for a firehouse.
1852 - In March, a hose carriage built by J & B Bruse and Company was delivered. Hose was purchased and Samuel Cummins built a fire engine, which was named the “Torrent.” By this time the County Clerk's office was moved to Alexandria so the decision was made to convert the old Clerk's office to house the new fire department.
1854 - On March 15, the fire department was established through incorporation. It was named the Washington Fire Engine and Hose Company Number 1.
1861 - On March 27th 1861 Samuel Barber became the first firefighter killed in the line of duty in Northern Kentucky by being struck in the back of the head by a piece of the roof from the Art Palace fire.
1866 - After several attempts to build a firehouse, a building contract was issued to P. H. Wilson. Construction, was completed by October 25, 1866 and dedicated November 4, 1866. The building was named “Washington Hall” located at 10 East Fourth Street.
1868 - City of Newport Purchased a steam fire engine from Amos Keag Manufacturing which was named Newport Number 1. The equipment cost was $2,189.55 and was housed at 10 East Fourth Street.
1868 - June 9, 1868, the City of Newport passed an ordinance that created the first steam fire engine company, establishing the beginning of a paid fire department. Soon after the ordinance passed the volunteer group disbanded. All of their effects were given to the City of Newport and all monies in the treasury were divided among all members in good standing on December 18, 1869.
1885 - Fire Company Number 2 (also known as Phoenix Fire Company Number 2) opened on the East side of Monmouth, between Williamson (11th Street) and Tibbatts (10th Street), roughly where Combined Lock Service sits today. The house was built to serve the south end of town, as well as the burgeoning East side.
1872 - The City of Newport established a fire-alarm system with boxes at certain intersections. Residents were instructed on proper use of these boxes.
1891 - Purchased a ladder wagon with a 60-foot extension ladder and additional assorted ladders named "A.S. Berry"
1892 - The Clifton German Methodist Mission laid the cornerstone for their new chapel on October 30 in the area of "Lindsey Hill" which later became Clifton. The chapel was completed and dedicated on May 22, 1893.
1893 - The Fire Department installed a telegraph system to better utilize their resources in order to never leave the City of Newport without fire protection.
1894 - The Fire Department operated three stations:
- Washington Fire Company Number 1 (JPG) (10 East Fourth Street)
- Phoenix Fire Company Number 2 (JPG) (On Monmouth between 10th and 11th)
- Hose Company Number 3 (JPG) (On West 7th between Isabella and Patterson)
1896 - Fire Department budget amounted to $11,264. (approximately $183,600 in modern currency)
1904 - February 19th: Firefighter Lee Howe was thrown from a fire wagon after it was struck by a street car at Fourth and Washington streets. The fire wagon was responding to a report of a fire at Fourth and Berry streets which turned out to be soot burning in the chimney. Lee 24, later died from the injuries he sustained from the accident. This was Newport's second line of duty death. That Same Year Newport Purchased a replacement Ladder Wagon built by the Seagrave Company.
1908 - June 16, 1908, a coal lamp exploded at 512 East Front Street. Firefighter John Murphy was walking on the roof advancing toward the fire when he stepped into a hole, landing on his back and shoulder. Murphy was bruised all over and one of his ears was torn off. Murphy recovered from his injuries.
1910 - It was around this time that Newport Fire Department purchased their first motorized apparatus from the US Motor Truck Company.
1912 - The City of Clifton was incorporated just south of the City of Newport in what was considered a rural area.
1913 - In May 1913, the Newport Fire Wagon was racing down Fourth Street when it attempted to make a quick turn onto Columbia Street. One of the horses threw a shoe and fell, knocking the wagon over and tumbling Firefighters Ben Graham and John Mason onto the roadway. Both firefighters recovered from injuries.
1915 - A motorized hose wagon was purchased from Schacht Motor Car Company of Cincinnati, Ohio.
1918 - On February 28, 1918 the labor organization Newport Firefighters Local 45 was established and became one of the original charter members of the International Association of Firefighters.
1918 - All horses phased out of the Fire Department. “Old Captain Jim,” the last of Newport’s horses, made his last run in August 1918. Captain Jim had answered over 1,500 alarms over his nineteen years of service.
1919 - An Ahrens Fox Model K piston pumper was purchased and placed in service. The Clifton German Methodist Chapel was purchased by 10 citizens of The Clifton Welfare Association for use as a community center. The German Mission's numbers were greatly reduced during the onset of the First World War.
1919 - February 21st: Captain Benjamin Graham of Newport Hose Company #4 died of pneumonia as the result of a cold which he received while fighting a fire on February 18th. Graham 47, was considered a popular fireman and a fearless Ohio diver. This was considered Newport's third line of duty death.
1922 - The first ladder wagon was purchased from Ahrens Fox Company. The apparatus was a tiller-style ladder truck build by Ahrens Fox and the ladder portion built by the Seagrave Company. Newport Purchased this apparatus after Cincinnati Fire Department brought over their ladder for a demonstration.
1924 - Fire Company No.2 on Monmouth Street became very unsafe and in dilapidated condition. The building would shake every time a horse would lie down, and when the bell tapped for a fire all the firemen ran out on the street for fear the building would fall down on them. In 1903, an attempt to replace the station by building one further east at the beyond Saratoga railroad street, failed. The station was ultimately shut down as a cost-cutting move. The firefighters and engine assigned to the house were relocated to 4th Street.
1928 - An Ahrens Fox Model N piston pumper was purchased and placed in service.
1928 - Newport Firefighters Local 45 withdrew from the IAFF because of dissension and discouragement.
1930 - City of Newport population grew to 29,744. In January, the City of Clifton officially voted in members to the Clifton Volunteer Fire Department.
1931 - January 27, 1931, Firefighter William Wagner fell through a vent hole. He fell only a few feet getting caught in rafters, where he hung until other firefighters could lift him back to the roof.
1932 - During the City election, Clifton citizens voted a fire truck bond issue and the council purchased a 500-gallon Mack pumper. The accessories for the truck were purchased with volunteer funds.
1933 - In the fall of 1932, the City of Clifton took over the Community Hall (former chapel) and renovated the building to house the newly formed fire department and administrative offices. The building was dedicated on September 9th, 1933.
1934 - March 22nd Newport Firefighters were successful in re-organizing as Newport Firefighters Association Number 386.
1935 - The Washington Fire Company house was torn down to make way for the new firehouse headquarters. Newport Fire Headquarters remained at 10 East Fourth Street until 1997. During the time of construction, the Newport Fire department temporarily ran out of the Wiedemann brewery.
1936 - The town of Clifton was annexed into the City of Newport. As part of the annex agreement, Newport housed a fire company in the old Clifton Administration building, serving the citizens of Clifton. This firehouse is referred to as South Newport and is still in use today. The Clifton Volunteer Fire Department was de-activated and its members immediately formed the Clifton Third Alarm Associates and were voted full membership in the NKFA. This organization was headquartered at the S. E. corner of Main and Ash Streets.
1937 - Newport staffing has 36 total firefighters with 3 chief officers, 3 captains, 27 privates, 1 fire alarm electrician, and 2 telephone operators. This formed a two-platoon system that operated since June 1923
1944 - Newport Fire Department took delivery of a Seagrave 75-foot Aerial Quint open cab. This piece of apparatus was stationed at 10 East Fourth Street.
1948 - Newport Fire Department purchased 2 pieces of apparatus: Ahrens Fox pumper for Fire Headquarters at 10 East 4th Street Army surplus Mack pumper for South Newport at 171 Main Street. (The Mack pumper had to be modified to fit in the station.)
1950 - Newport Fire Department began providing ambulance service to the City of Newport.
1958 - Retired the last piston pumper from service. The department purchased a new Peter Pirsch pumper to be stationed at 10 East Fourth Street.
1959 - Mobile radios installed in the ambulance and the pumper at South Newport Station.
1962 - Kentucky Professional Firefighters supported a 56-hour workweek law. This required an (on 24 off 48) work shift schedule. The City discontinued Kelly days (24/24 shift with a shift off every seventh day). Department personnel increased to seventeen members.
1963 - Henry Weitholter, Fire Chief, established the first radio base station in Campbell County.
1964 - Shift Lieutenants were appointed. All appointments had support on the City Commission.
1964 - Purchased an International Travel-All to be used as an ambulance (custom design). Placed the GMC panel truck into surplus equipment.
1965 - Fire Department purchased a 75-foot Seagrave Quint. This piece of apparatus was stationed at 10 East Fourth Street until 1989.
1967 - The City of Newport gave fire personnel a salary increase but decreased personnel.
1969 - Purchased International Highboy to replace Travel-All.
1970 - Cadillac ambulance purchased. Two ambulances were then placed into service with ambulance two responding only as a backup for a second run. Personnel came from fire equipment to man the second ambulance. Runs per year were greater than 2,000.
1970 - Galaxie Club, located in the 600 block of Monmouth Street was gutted by fire spreading in to the Querner Wall Paper Store next door.
1971 - Purchased first SCBA, two Scott Units and four Globe Units.
1971 - The City of Newport decreased staffing by eliminating one person per shift.
1973 - Sixteen shift personnel and three civil dispatchers phased out the Box Alarm System.
1974 - Fire personnel called a strike because of money, benefits and written agreement. The strike lasted for less than fourteen hours.
1974 - Ralph Quitter was appointed Fire Chief after negotiating strike issues with the City of Newport.
1974 - Purchased two Seagrave Pumpers with jump seats to be located at 10 East 4th Street. Upgraded radio system to a two-channel system and all turnout gear was upgraded to Nomex.
1975 - The City of Newport decreased pay schedule after the Fair Labor Standard Act was implemented. This was to prevent pay changes.
1976 - Ralph Mussman was the City Manager and no labor contract was signed this year.
1976 - Fire personnel called a strike because they were being ordered to perform functions, which were outside of their job descriptions. The strike lasted approximately two days.
1976 - First portable radio was purchased for the pumper.
1976 - The new addition was completed which added two extra bays, a small rear bay, and additional 2nd-floor space for sleeping quarters.
1977 - On the night of May 28th, a fire broke out at the Beverly Hills Supper Club in Southgate Kentucky, killing 165 people. Newport Fire Department was one of many departments called in to battle the blaze. One week prior to the incident, the Newport firefighters participated in a training session at the Supper Club with Southgate and Ft. Thomas Fire Departments.
1981 - A garage at 938 John Street manufacturing illegal fireworks, exploded without warning leaving severe damage up to a six-block radius.
1987 - Chief Larry B. Atwell replaced Chief Martin Dooley.
1989 - Fire Department purchased a 121ft Grumman Aerial Cat Ladder Truck, the tallest ladder in the State of Kentucky. Also purchased this year were one Seagrave pumper and one Seagrave squirt. All of this new equipment was housed at 10 East 4th Street.
1994 - An International E-ONE ambulance is purchased and placed in service
1995 - On March 14th, 1995 the Newport Professional Firefighters were reissued their original Local 45 charter.
1996 - A new fire headquarters is completed at 998 Monmouth Street, connected to the newly built city building and police headquarters.
1996 - A new Ferrara pumper is purchased and placed in service at the South Newport fire house. This apparatus replaced a 1974 Seagrave that formally served as Engine 902.
1998 - On July 1st, Newport Fire/EMS began providing an Advanced Life Support service for the City of Newport. Another International E-ONE ambulance was purchased and two ALS ambulances were licensed and placed in service.
1998 - Newport Fire/EMS hosted the first Paramedic Program. There were a total of 24 students in the program, nine of which were Newport Fire personnel.
1999 - The old Fire Headquarters at 10 East 4th Street was demolished to clear a site for the World Peace Bell. Fire Headquarters was in service from 1935-1997.
1999 - On October 2nd, Newport units responded to a structure fire at 416 East 10th Street at the Newport Aquarium warehouse. The fire was a major property loss of $1.5 million with the loss of three exotic fish.
2000 - Newport Fire/EMS hosted its second Paramedic Program. There were a total of 18 students enrolled and proved to be a success.
2000 - The World Peace Bell and Millennium Monument is completed and dedicated on the former site of Fire Headquarters.
2000 - Purchased a 2000 Ford Expedition for Chief 950.
2001 - Newport on the Levee became a reality, boosting the City of Newport into leading economic growth. The Levee is the finest and only entertainment district in Northern Kentucky. The Newport Aquarium was the first to open its doors but many other businesses followed. The Fire Department responses increased due to the growth in the city.
2004 - Newport Fire/EMS celebrates 150 years of service to the City of Newport.
2005 - Purchased a new ambulance on an International chassis from the AEV Company to replace the 1998 E-ONE ambulance that was involved in a crash. The ambulance was hit in the side by a vehicle that was fleeing from police. The Ambulance crew suffered minor injuries.
2007 - November; Newport Firefighters Local 45 made a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the City of Newport to reduce the minimum daily staffing number from 12 to 11 due to the recession and financial constraints. The daily operation had to be changed to the shift Captain operating out of a staff car and the medic units cross-manning the ladder truck.
2008- For the first time in Newport Fire history, the department was able to purchase 36 sets of fire gear for every member. Funds were secured from the FEMA through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant.
2008 - April; Newport Firefighters Local 45 updated the MOU to reduce the minimum daily staffing to 10 personnel from 11. Engine 903 operated with 2 personnel when daily levels were at 10. This was intended to save on overtime and to prevent layoffs during the financial crisis.
2008 - Obtained a 2004 Ford F350 pickup truck (931) from the Newport Parks and Recreation department to replace the 1994 Ford F150 pickup truck (930). The OIC of the shift moved to this unit when staffing went down to 11 per shift.
2008 - EMS improvements including switching from paper reports to a computer based reporting and billing system. The contract was awarded to ADPI and allowed members to write patient reports with a laptop (Tuff Book). Additional improvements include acquiring 12 lead capable heart monitors, EZ IO, and CPAP: Continuous Positive Airway Pressure system.
2008 - September of this year the remnants of Hurricane Ike brought wind gusts of over 75mph to Newport and Cincinnati area. Several homes were damaged with widespread power outages. Several members were brought back on duty to help with the high number of calls. The state of Kentucky declared an emergency which was able to offset the cost of manpower as well as damage made to the roof of Engine 903's house.
2009 - The first phase of South Shore was Completed, a 22-story luxury condo complex on Newport's riverfront.
2009 - Purchased 3 Thermal Imaging cameras and 2 ambulance cots with funds secured through the FEMA through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant.
2010 - Purchased a new 100ft Ladder Truck from E-ONE equipped with a 2000gpm pump and a 500-gallon water tank. This new truck was purchased with funds obtained from FEMA through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant. This apparatus replaced the 1989 Grumman Aerial Cat.
2010 - Purchased a used ambulance from the City of Ft. Thomas to replace the aging 1994 International E-ONE ambulance. This 1999 Freightliner Medic Master became Medic 981.
2011 - Changed daily operation by running the Ladder Truck as the first out fire apparatus from the downtown station. Engine 901 was cross-manned by the medic units.
2013 - Secured funds from the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response grant to cover the cost of 3 Fire Medics for a three-year period in order to keep staffing up and overtime costs down.
2014 - Newport Pavilion was completed as part of a large land redevelopment located next to Interstate 471. The shopping development is home to 35 businesses including Kroger, Target, Dicks Sporting goods, Panera Bread, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, and IHOP.
2015 - Purchased a new ambulance on a Ford chassis from Horton Emergency Vehicles. This vehicle went into service as Medic 981 and replaced the 1999 Freightliner Medic Master.
2015 - October: Minimum staffing was returned to 11 per shift. 903 went back to staffing 3 personnel per shift.
2015 - Received a grant from the Christ Hospital for a Lucus Chest Compression System. This allows continuous, quality CPR to be performed on the patient throughout the incident.
2016 - Purchased a used ambulance to replace an aging 2005 International AEV. This 2006 Ford F450 Horton was formally used in the City of Elsmere. This became Medic 982
2016 - Purchased a new Ford Explorer SUV for Chief 950. This unit replaced the 2000 Ford Expedition.
2017 - Contracted with Safety Pad for EMS reporting and billing. This change moved members from using ADPI laptops (Tuff Books) to PC tablets.
2017 - Purchased a new Fire Engine from Pierce Manufacturing. This new engine was purchased with funds obtained from FEMA through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant. The 1996 Ferrara previously assigned to 903 was reassigned to engine 901 in order to replace the retired 1989 Seagrave. This pumper is equipped with a 1500gpm pump, a 500-gallon water tank, a low hose bed, low crosslays, and low ladder access. This apparatus was specially designed to fit in the South Newport Fire Station.
2018 - Purchased a new Ford Interceptor command vehicle (951). This vehicle is assigned to the Officer in Charge of the Shift. The 2004 Ford F350 pickup (931) was moved into utility status.
2019 - Purchased a new Ford F550 Horton Ambulance and placed in service as Medic 982. In addition, 2 power cots and 2 power loading systems were purchased and placed in service on the medic units.
2019 - July: New Magnegrip exhaust removal system was installed in the apparatus bays downtown to reduce cancer-causing diesel exhaust in the firehouse.
2020 - Purchased a new Fire Engine from Pierce Manufacturing. This Engine replaced the aging 1996 Ferrara unit that was reassigned to 901 after the arrival of the new Engine 903. This pumper is equipped with a 1500gpm pump, 750-gallon water tank, a low hose bed, low crosslays, and low ladder access. The cab configuration changed to allow a safer environment for the crew. The 1996 was moved into reserve as Engine 902.
For any information on the history of Newport Fire Department, or to provide any historic pictures, please contact Battalion Chief Jeff Stahl at 859-292-3616