The Code Enforcement Division patrols the City and responds to citizen complaints to insure compliance with adopted animal regulations. Newport has a leash law and a scoop law.
Dog Licensing / Vicious Dogs
Newport has a vicious animal ordinance (PDF) (which by definition includes any dogs displaying a vicious tendency and specifically American Pit Bull Terriers or American Staffordshire Terriers/Staffordshire Bull Terriers). Vicious dogs must be:
- Muzzled and on a leash not exceeding six feet in length.
- Must be licensed by the City.
- Have proof of rabies vaccination.
- Have proof that the dog has been microchipped.
- Owners must show proof of liability insurance or homeowners' or renters' insurance coverage for a minimum amount of $100,000 protecting against injury caused by a dog.
Visit the 2nd floor of the city building at 998 Monmouth to license a vicious dog (PDF).
All dogs must have a dog license from the County - visit the Campbell County building at:
1098 Monmouth Street
Newport, KY 41071
Looking for a lost dog? Contact Terri Baker at 859-292-3622. Lost dogs are often posted on the Newport Community Discussion Facebook Page.