Fire Prevention and Public Education
Our Goal is Your Safety
Fire Safety Classes
Fire Prevention Month
To request a public education service, please complete this form.
For any questions, please contact our Public Education Officer Lieutenant Chris Holmes at 292-3616.
Fire Inspections for Businesses
The Newport Fire/EMS Department performs bi-annual fire safety inspections of all local businesses. Our department works cooperatively with local businesses to:
- Reduce everyday workplace fire hazards.
- Lower insurance rates for businesses.
- Increase safety for their clients.
Fire Inspections for Residences
Upon request, the Newport Fire/EMS Department will perform fire safety inspections on multi-family structures and private residences. To request an inspection please call 292-3616.
In our busier business districts near the riverfront - such as Newport on the Levee - The Newport Fire / EMS Department regularly conducts life safety assessments during peak hours to ensure the safety of the public and check for potential hazards.
For any questions concerning fire code information call 292-3616 and ask for Assistant Chief Scott Kohrs or Lieutenant Eric Herman, our Fire Prevention officers.
For any questions regarding building code information please call The City of Newport Code Enforcement Office at 292-3637 or 292-3638.
The City of Newport adopted the following ordinances for all newly constructed businesses and are recommended for all existing businesses and residents.
- City Ordinance 90.20 Key Lock Box System
This lock box system is keyed exclusively for the Newport Fire/EMS Department and is only accessible by a senior officer of the department. This enables fire department personnel to gain entry in an emergency without causing damage to the property.
- City Ordinance 90.10 Lock Sprinkler Cap System
Locking sprinkler caps can be utilized by Newport Fire/EMS Personnel in the event of an emergency. This allows Fire Department Personnel to unlock your sprinkler cap and supply water to your sprinkler system during an emergency.
The official ordinances can be found under Title IX: General Regulations, Chapter 90 of the Newport Municipal Code.
How to order a Knox Box
To order products:
- Go to the Knox Box website.
- Select the product line:
- 3200 Series for less than 10 keys or 4100 series for more than 10 keys. Select the color and mounting style.
- For a sprinkler cap lock, select Model 5002 for 5" connections, or Model 3043 for 2-1/2 inches connections.
- Add the product to your cart.
- Fill out the information for the installation address.
- Create an account or log in.
- Enter the shipping and billing address.
- Select payment method.
- An email will be sent notifying the fire department of the purchase and installation address. Call Newport Fire/EMS when the product arrives. A fire department representative will meet with you to help determine a mounting location and to unlock the device for key placement.
For any questions concerning fire code information call 292-3616 and ask for Assistant Chief Scott Kohrs or Lieutenant Eric Herman, our Fire Prevention officers. For any questions regarding building code information please call Newport Code Enforcement at 859-292-3637.